To contribute to Bigtop project, we need to submit a patch.
We should follow this process for managing our proposed contributions:
- Create a Jira ticket with the description of the problem. (Note: the ticket should be Minor priority for most things, and only Major if it is fixing a bug that prevents something from working as expected; also the component will be «deployment» for new charms or bundles, as well as for changes to the puppet manifests.)
- Create branch in /hvivani/bigtop fork named
XXXXis the Jira ticket number, e.g. BIGTOP-2417.
- Commit the change with a commit message of the form
BIGTOP-XXXX: message, where
messagemust match the title of your JIRA ticket. Then push it to the branch.
- Open a pull request from your branch to the upstream Apache Bigtop repository, e.g. PR 138. Again, ensure the PR title exactly matches the title of your Jira ticket prefixed by the
- Refresh your Jira ticket. You should see your GitHub PR linked to the ticket. You should also see a comment by ASF GitHub Bot with information about the PR which includes a link to the PR’s patch file, which is the PR URL with
.patchappended to it. For example, BIGTOP-2417 contains a link to https://github.com/apache/bigtop/pull/138.patch.
- Once you do it, click the Submit Patch button in the ticket to inform committers that this ticket has a Patch Available.